Sunday, June 8, 2008

Praise Jesus

We went to St. Paul United Methodist Church today for 11 AM services. I'd never been a Methodist service and didn't know what to expect. When we got there, we entered the chapel, greeted by the sounds of the seven member University of Louisville Trumpet Ensemble doing one helluva jazzy opening to services. The only other tidbit of note is that when services ended, I was greeted by a woman asking me who I was, if I was new to the area, how I'd come to pick their church, etc. which was fine...except she was asking only me and not Chris or Becca who were standing behind me in the pew. Then, as we leave, I get stopped by another elderly woman asking the same questions. And when I do leave, the pastor shakes my hand as he does everyone else, but then stops me to ask me name and tell me that he hopes that I join them again, etc. Outside, we get lemonade and cookies and I'm greeted (accosted) by yet another woman! Chris and Becca found this hysterical.

Can you guess who was the only non-white in the 200-ish congregation today? You get a cookie if you can.

As Becca says: "The eleven o'clock hour on Sunday is the most segregated hour in the U.S."

Amen.

\m/
Steve

2 comments:

Diana said...

haha it's kind of like that here too in general sometimes...'cept it's more like who IS white.

do you all go to church together every week or was this an expedition?

Katie said...

We've been church hopping! It's good for exploration.