Monday, June 2, 2008

Success! The certification exam has been conquered (HUZZAH!!), and I have my assignment: Wagner unit and its 14 teenage boys.

Wagner boys range in age from 12 or 13 up to 17. Most seem pretty chill. From what the staff tells me, their last restraint was about two weeks ago, and before then, they'd had a two-month stretch with no holds necessary. This past academic year, there were only 4 incidents where SCM had to be used on them in the school. Impressive. Most impressive.

That being said, the boys definitely have their issues and aggressive tendencies, and most come from really disturbing family situations. Like most it seems, one guy in my unit comes from a background of sexual abuse and drug-addicted parents. He is also a father. He's in his mid-teens. His goal is get out of Brooklawn soon and get a job to support his family. He's battled with behavioral and emotional issues, mostly anger management...and if I were him, I probably would, too. I honestly don't know how someone could deal with what he's been through in his life, and I don't really understand how anyone could do what they did to him. He's one story.

I didn't see much in terms of anger this afternoon...actually, the boys mostly just stayed in their rooms or played X-Box in the common room...but that doesn't mean it's not there. They're angry boys. They've had hard lifes, and they're learning to deal with a world that hasn't been very good to them.

I'm looking forward to Day 2.

-cy

No comments: